Netgear Extender Setup
You are accessing the internet from one corner of your home and your children are playing games online from another corner. Suddenly, the internet is disabled from the area where children are playing games. So, there exist black spots in your home where you can’t be able to access the internet at all. To remove these black spots, install Netgear extenders in your home by using Netgear Extender login. Netgear extenders are the solution to this problem as they are able to provide internet access in these areas.
Netgear extenders receive the signal from your wireless router and then retransmit it in the black zones. After this, the black zones become white, means you can now access the internet from these areas. Take care while placing your extender because the position of your extender matters. The optimal position to place the extender is midway between the black spot and your wireless router. And also make sure the extender is placed within the range of your wireless router. After that it’s time to set up the extender, so set it up by login through Netgear Extender login page.
It is very easy to setup the range extender and it takes less time. Netgear also provides you an application named as Netgear Wi-Fi Analytics App. By using this app, you can easily check in which area the router signal is less or there is no coverage at all. So you can easily determine where to install the router. After installing the extender, check again whether there is proper range or not. The steps given below are valid for Netgear Extender 2700.
Setting up the extender by using the Netgear Genie
Follow the steps given below:
- Give power to your Netgear extender by putting its plug in the power outlet. Wait till the power LED turns solid green.
- Connect to the network name of your extender by using your Wi-Fi device such as a computer, laptop.
- The device LED light up as soon as the wireless device gets connected to the Netgear extender.
- Launch a web browser such as Microsoft Internet Explorer and type in the address bar of the browser www.mywifiext.net.
- Hit the enter key.
- Click on new extender setup.
- Complete the fields given on the screen and click on continue button.
- Various Wi-Fi names will be displayed to you. Click on the one that you want to extend. Click on next button.
- Enter the password or passphrase for the above selected network.
- A screen appears where you have to enter the network name of your extended network and also select the security features of the same.
- Now you can connect your device to the extended network. Perform the same and click on continue button.
- Now the registration window displays. If you want to register your product then fill up the necessary information and click next. Otherwise, you can skip the registration process. The registration is required only when you want to take support from the Netgear technicians.
Now, your extender is successfully installed and ready for use. You can connect a number of devices to the Netgear extender.
Features of Netgear Extenders
- Smart LED Indicators: the Netgear extenders have LED indicators for power, WPS, LAN. These LED lights help in finding the best location for the extender and also tell us about the connectivity whether a successful connection has been established or not.
- WPS supported: almost all the Netgear extenders today are having WPS push button. This button makes the connection to the extender very easy. You just have to push a button on both devices and you are done.
- External antennas: external antennas are being provided with the extenders so that the coverage will be more.
- Ethernet ports: Ethernet ports are there on the extender. By using these ports you can connect external devices like game console, smart TV etc. to the extender.
- Compatibility: most of the Netgear extender of today’s world is compatible with the 802.11 b/g/n extenders.
Now we will discuss the firmware of the Netgear.
When you log into the extender or when you open the configuration page of your extender, the firmware gets automatically checked. It tells you whether a new firmware is available or not. You can change the settings so that the extender will not be able to check this automatically.
Update the Netgear Firmware
To check and update the firmware, follow these steps:
- Log in to the extender by opening a web browser and then type mywifiext.net in the URL bar and press Enter.
- Login by entering the username and password in the given fields.
- Enter the default credentials if you have not changed them yet. The basic home page of the extender displays after you logged in.
- Go to Maintenance then select Firmware Upgrade. Click on check new firmware. If it is available then download it on your computer.
Now upload it by browsing through your laptop. And please do not turn off your computer or extender while the firmware is uploading.
NetGear Extender fails to find the existing router name
The Netgear extender may generate a problem of not recognizing the existing SSID in case where the router is set on Dynamic frequency selection (DFS) channel. Because of this DFS channel there is a possibility that it is not visible in the list of extended network channels. The solution to this problem can be explained by the following steps mentioned below:
- You must first locate your extender in not more than 5 feet distance from the router. After that you can continue with your Netgear extender setup.
- Then you have to confirm whether the router you are using is DFS certified or not as we know that there are only few router that are dual band supports DFS.
- Now after checking the DFS certified router you have to Netgear extender login to your router you have to find out the particular bandwidth and frequency section.
- Examine the frequency of Wi-Fi channel to a DFS channel or to Auto.
- You have to change the channel selection either to 36 – 48 or to 149 – 165, in both the above cases i.e. Auto or DFS channel.
- Now your router channel has been changed to a non DFS channel so you have to now reload the network list by returning back to the Netgear range extender setup so as to make SSID (network name) visible in the list of extending network names.
Unable to obtain www.mywifiext.net access ?
While setting up the wireless extender you might sometimes encounter a problem that you are not able to access mywifiext.net . The main reason for this is that it might be not your regular website. There is a Netgear extender setup wizard which is used to open the settings (which is basically a web address). And to gain the access of this local web address, make sure that your computer must either be connected to NETGEAR extender or to the Ethernet.
You can resolve this issue by following these steps:
- Be sure that your extender and your router reside in the same room until you are performing setup. After that you can place them separately.
- Check whether the power LED lights of your Netgear extender are blowing. This will ensure the proper plug-in of the extender.
- In case of any LED mentioned in the extender for the PC connectivity or for the device connectivity, make sure to lit it up.
- Now search for the default address of the extender which is 192.168.1.250. In case of any problem refresh and try again.
- If the problem still continues, then this address on some other browser.
- After that maintain the router connection with NETGEAR wireless range extender. This can be done using an Ethernet cable.
- An IP address is then assigned to your computer and follows up the configuration of proxy or TCP/IP settings.
- You might now be able to connect to http://www.mywifiext.net/ and if still not then speak to Netgear support expert to resolve this issue.